This is the process of repairing damaged or chipped teeth. We help you smile with pride again.
Tooth bonding is the application of a tooth-colored resin material using adhesives and a high intensity curing light. The procedure gets its name because materials are bonded to the tooth. Bonding is typically used for cosmetic purposes to improve the appearance of a discolored or chipped tooth. It is also used to close spaces between teeth, to make teeth look longer or to change the shape or color of teeth. Often times bonding is used as a cosmetic alternative to amalgam fillings, or to protect a portion of the tooth’s root that has been exposed when gums recede.
Dental bonding can be considered to fix the following dental issues:
• To repair decayed teeth (composite resins are used to fill cavities)
• To repair chipped or cracked teeth
• To improve the appearance of discolored teeth
• To close spaces between teeth
• To make teeth look longer
• To change the shape of teeth
• As a cosmetic alternative to amalgam fillings
• To protect a portion of the tooth’s root that has been exposed when gums recede
A consultation with your dentist will determine what dental problems can be solved with bonding. Your dentist will conduct a thorough examination of your teeth that may involve x-rays and an evaluation of your teeth and gums. During your consultation, your dentist will discuss if you are a candidate for the cosmetic problems that bonding can resolve, such as decayed teeth, cracked or chipped teeth, gaps, tooth discoloration, “short teeth,” and more. If you have teeth that are extensively damaged your dentist may recommend other restorative or cosmetic procedures that meet more long-term goals.